Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Wink Writes Back

Way back in May I wrote a poem
About a strange event
A lady winked at me and I 
Was not sure what it meant

But then we went our separate ways
I never thought I’d see
Or hear from her again, it’s just
A distant memory

But then today, out of the blue,
A letter in the mail
Addressed specifically to me
So what did it entail?

She’d read about my nice award
And wanted to express
Congratulations for my prize
And yet I couldn’t guess

How she remembered who I was
From that one far off date
But she’s not wrong when she says I
Make Indiana great

And so tonight I send my thanks
Sincerely out to her
I’m grateful for this note from our
Lieutenant Governor!


(Don't believe me? Here's a scan of the letter itself! I'm actually a little blown away by it.)


1 comment: