Monday, September 1, 2014

Return of the Childhood

This morning my daughter appeared by my bed
“You’ve got to get up and come down now!” she said

“I’ve been waiting all night, now I’ve just got to see
How the whole story ends!” she was yelling at me

You see, all summer long many hours we’d spend
Watching Star Wars, complete, from beginning to end

The movies were great, and “The Clone Wars” was fun
And today was the day for the very last one

I selected “Return of the Jedi”, hit play
Off we went to that galaxy far, far away

As we sat on the couch it was simply sublime
Watching her watching it for the very first time

And I realized, with time, that my role’s been reversed
She’s now the same age as when I saw it first

But now that we’re done, I’m a little perplexed
I’ve got to decide what we’re gonna view next

We could always choose Star Trek with Sulu and Spock
Or Back to the Future with Marty and Doc

Perhaps some adventures with old Doctor Jones
And the Ark and the Grail and those Indian stones

But whichever I choose as we usher in Fall
Spending time with my daughter’s the best choice of all

2 comments: