Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Appraisal


At ten o’clock this morning
We got a little call
It was our home appraiser
He was really on the ball

We had only signed the papers
About a day ago
And now he’s calling us to say
Today’s the day to go

He asks me for a time that’s good
So I say “How ‘bout four?”
He agrees, but then I see
There’s clutter on the floor

“What have I done!” I start to think
“This place is such a mess!
We’ve only got six hours
And it’s nowhere near its best!”

I start by brushing out the johns
And scrubbing out the tub
But then my tummy grumbles so
I go down for some grub

I have a nice, relaxing lunch
Salami and swiss cheese
My wife brings home Penn Station fries
To which I say, “Yes, please!”

But then I look up at the clock
How’s it already one?
We’ve used up half our time and yet
We’ve barely just begun

I head back up to take care of
The pile on my floor
There’s books and towels, a magazine
A box, some socks and something green
(It’s just a pen, don’t be obscene)
I sort and stack and make it clean
Until there’s nothing more

And now it’s two, what should I do?
I think I’ll go downstairs
The tax forms in the living room
The kitchen floor could use a broom
The games need stacking, movies racking,
Now my daughters are attacking
Maybe they could use a thwacking
‘Cause my patience sure is lacking
But then my wife declares:

“Dear me, it’s three! How can this be?
You haven’t vacuumed yet!”
And so while tangled in the cords
I get the cracks near the baseboards
It seems that everybody cares
The girls are putting shoes in pairs 
I sweep the stairs, under the chairs
I’m getting lots of girly hairs
I’m working up a sweat.

It’s four.
A soft knock at the door.
He visits every single room
And peers into the attic’s gloom
It feels like he has just begun
When he informs us that he’s done
He puts his coat and shoes back on
He says goodbye, and then he’s gone

My family and I feel beat
I think we’ll all go out to eat

No comments:

Post a Comment