Friday, April 26, 2013

Perhaps a Pretzel?

Another day, another reason to celebrate! Today is National Pretzel Day! Here's a little poem for that most wonderful of breads.


I’m a proud descendent of a line that’s quite Bavarian
I’m really quite suburban though my forebears were agrarian
And in my culture there’s a snack that’s quite utilitarian
It’s salty and it’s bready and it’s even vegetarian

Of course I speak of pretzels, they’re a snack that’s nonsectarian
They’re loved by creatures great and small, from mammoth to planarian
And every kind of person, loud buffoon or soft librarian
Republican or Democrat or even Libertarian

Come one, come all, come short, come tall and sound a call that’s clarion 
Come celebrate the pretzel, bourgeoisie or proletarian
Perhaps you’ll write an opera that’s all epic and wagnerian
(But if you use my mustard up I’ll likely go barbarian!)

No comments:

Post a Comment