Monday, February 24, 2014

Granitunica mcfaddeniae

Today I heard some really excellent news. An old friend of mine from way back in my geology days has officially had a fossil named after her. Her last name is McFadden, and this tiny little round, microscopic fossil is called Granitunica mcfaddeniae. 

I wanted to write a poem in honor of this, but unfortunately I don't know the correct pronunciation for this name. Luckily, blazing ignorance hasn't stopped me before, so, with a little help from this excellent reference, I came up with this:


GRAN-ih-TUNE-ih-KUH mic-FAD-in-EE-ee

Which then led to this poem:

Most people merely pass through history-ee
A few, however, pause and really see-ee
With luck, they’ll make a big discovery-ee
Like Granitunica mcfaddeniae

What’s that? You’ve no idea what that could be-ee?
This tiny critter living in the sea-ee
A billion years ago, or two or three-ee
It’s Granitunica mcfaddeniae

And when you study it’s morphology-ee
A thick and double wall is plain to see-ee
Exhibiting a granularity-ee
‘Round Granitunica mcfaddeniae


(Kat, if you ever read this and I've completely messed it up, let me know and I'll try to come up with something better!)

1 comment:

  1. I certainly hope she reads this. Google her and send it to her.

    ReplyDelete